Substantive & Procedural Law
Substantive law creates, defines, and regulates rights.
Procedural law gives methods of enforcing rights or shows individuals how to obtain redress for the invasion of rights.
Procedural law includes the following (this is not an all inclusive list):
- The time limit for bringing a lawsuit
- The manner in which it is started
- The proper way to inform the defendant about the lawsuit
- The types of information that must be released by each party to the opposing party
- The procedure at trial
- The evidence that can be introduced at trial
- The method for appealing the decision